Kratom Encyclopedia: All the Different Kratom Strains Explained
Related to the coffee plant, kratom is a naturally derived substance that’s been used as a traditional medicine for centuries.
Grown in different geographic regions, a number of kratom strains have been produced. Depending on what you’re using kratom for, knowing the different strains will provide you with the most desired effect.
If you’re new to kratom, keep reading to find out more about what it is and how the different strains will affect you.
What is Kratom?
Kratom grows naturally in parts of Southeast Asia and Africa. It’s also known as Mitragyna Speciosa. First documented in 19th century Thailand by a botanist, kratom has long been used for its powerful medicinal properties.
Kratom is known for a variety of therapeutic and recreational benefits. These include nootropic effects, relief of pain symptoms, treating opioid addiction, mood stabilization and enhancement, energy boosts, as well as immune system stimulation. As a bonus, kratom is also high in antioxidants and vitamins.
The degree of the above effects is dependent on the kratom strain. It can also be affected by quality, the users’ lifestyle, and the tolerance of the user.
A kratom leaf contains both a stem and a vein. Kratom veins are divided into 3 colors according to the color of the stem and vein: red, white, and green. The color of your kratom vein determines how it will affect your mind and body.
Red Vein Kratom
Red kratom is the best selling and most widely available kratom on the market. This is because it grows in abundance and is a great strain for beginners.
Red vein kratom produces a calming, tranquil effect. It’s able to relax the body as well as the muscles, relieve pain, and provide a general feeling of well-being.
Red kratom can also assist with sleep. It’s been used by people suffering from insomnia to increase their ability to sleep as well as professional treating withdrawal symptoms in opiate addicts.
White Vein Kratom
Strains that contain this color vein are mood enhancers and stimulants. In fact, these strains provide a more euphoric feeling than any of the others.
White vein kratom provides a more alert feeling than coffee. It can also increase concentration and motivation.
Because of these stimulating effects, white vein kratom is a good treatment for people experiencing mild depression or periods of tiredness. For the same reason, taking a white vein strain before bed may cause an inability to sleep.
Green Vein Kratom
Green vein kratom strains are the most subtle types of kratom you can buy. The effects fall somewhere between the effects produced by red and green veins.
This variation is known as a mild energy booster. It can also make you feel more cheerful and optimistic. Some people experience alertness and focus as well.
Because green vein kratom doesn’t cause drowsiness, it’s useful for treating mild pain during daytime hours or period when one has to remain alert. It also has very subtle nootropic effects in comparison to other veins. It can be used in social settings and when engaging in recreational activities.
Kratom Strains: Stimulating, Sedating, and Moderate
There are many different kratom strains to choose from. To keep things easy, we’ve separated these strains into the effect they have on your mind and body.
If you suffer from mild depression or exhaustion, a stimulating strain can produce uplifting effects. They also have positive effects on individuals who experience a lack of energy and focus.
- Thai Kratom. This strain is powerful in its energizing properties. Red vein Thai is the most effective analgesia. The green and white vein strains of Thai are best for treating depression and providing stimulation.
- Maeng Da Kratom. One of the most potent strains of kratom, it’s best for treating pain during the day or when alertness is required. It’s also a great mood stabilizer and booster.
The strains that produce a sedative effect don’t contain the alkaloids required for stimulation. Instead, these strains are great for relieving pain thanks to the high concentrations of 7-hydroxymitragynine.
- Borneo Kratom. This strain has a powerful sedative effect. It can relieve pain, anxiety, and stress, as well as relax muscles. It also helps with sleep and has very little side effects.
- Bali Kratom. The Bali strain is one of the least expensive kratom strains. It grows quickly and has large leaves, so it’s easier to harvest and process. The downside to Bali kratom is that they can cause the feeling of wobbliness. However, this can be balanced by mixing it with another strain.
- Indo Kratom. With fewer side-effects the Bali Kratom, this strain can be effectively used to combat pain. When using this strain, be aware that it can have a delayed effect on your mind and body. Don’t take more than your regular dose and just wait it out.
Moderate strains have smoother effects than the aforementioned. They’re easier to use during day hours or when the focus is needed.
- Green Malaysian Kratom. This strain lasts longer than any other. It’s known for its nootropic effect. It can increase focus and mental endurance.
Dosage by Kratom Strains
Taking the right dosage of kratom is not an exact science. The effects produced will depend on the quality of the kratom as well as the individual users’ tolerance.
Taking to little kratom won’t give you any positive benefits. But taking too much kratom can cause undesirable side-effects such as nausea.
Depending on the effect you’re looking for, below are general dosing guidelines.
A mild effect requires 1-2 grams of kratom. Moderate effects will require a 2-4.5 gram dosage. Finally, for a high, you’ll need between 4.5 and 8 grams.
More About Kratom
Although it’s been used for 100’s of years, kratom is a powerful medicinal plant that’s relatively new to Western markets.
Because of breeding and transplantation to new geographic locations, there are a lot of kratom strains available. The strain that’s right for you is dependent on what effects you’re looking for, the time you’re taking it, and how many side effects you’re willing to risk.
For more information on all thing kratom, check out our blog.